THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Keep Calm and Carry On

These were posters that the British Government printed during WW II to encourage the population of England to not despair.  They had been forgotten until the year 2000 and now it has been brought back and is found everywhere in Britain.  It is on book covers, posters, cups, coasters etc.
I found myself pondering the message while we were there and decided I really like it.  We are not literally in a physical war and being bombarded with bombs, but we are definitely in a war of sorts today.  We are being bombarded with evil, false gods, discouragement and lies.

The older I get the more I truly realize that the Lord is in charge and as we listen to and act on His commands our lives will eventually turn out for the best.  We don't need to despair, we just need to trust in our Savior.  It is difficult to be calm when life isn't what we planned.  We begin to panic when we lose a job or we don't get the job we desired.  Maybe the Graduate program we have wanted did not want us.  We're not married or we can't have children or maybe we have too many children.  Our spouse doesn't want to be married anymore.  Our dream house was given to someone else.  Our children are making terrible self destructive choices.  Many of our elected leaders are deceitful and dishonest.  As devastating as many things in life are and as difficult as it is, I believe the best advice comes from this old British adage.  Keep Calm and Carry On.  Panic never helps, needless worry only causes health problems.  Making it through each day may be all that we can do, but if we can do it calmly and carrying on with our daily work then we have been successful and tomorrow hopefully we can do the same.  Soon we usually can see the Lord's hand in our lives and realize that everything will be OK.  He will never leave us alone.

Many people ask me how I seem happy and can continue living a full life with the choices that my son continues to make.  It isn't easy, and I have been depressed and discouraged but I realized it didn't help.   I  couldn't find the exact words to describe it until now, but I think this is the best advice I can give others.  Keep Calm and Carry On.  

No comments:

Post a Comment