THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Breakfast--The Most Important Meal of the Day

I grew up in a family where either my mom or dad would get up each morning and fix me a hot breakfast before I left for school each day.  It was great even if it was the exact same thing every morning.  I had a broken yolk fried egg (I do not do runny yellow stuff) and toast with homemade jam with a glass of milk and orange juice.  Done and Done.  The amazing part is that I really enjoyed it and I still enjoy that same menu.  On Saturdays and Sundays we did change it up a bit and have pancakes or french toast.
Fast forward until I was a mom and I started the same tradition of a hot breakfast each morning before school and then my kids demanded a day of cold cereal on Saturday and then German Pancakes on Sunday because they could be cooking in the oven while everyone scrambled to get ready for church.  My school breakfasts did vary from the original fried egg menu and I would do cooked cereal, muffins, french toast, waffles, or eggs fixed in a variety of ways.  I tried to be somewhat original.
What I didn't know is that I became famous for fixing breakfast. I would have comments from mothers like "I thought I was being so great and fixed heart  pancakes for my son for breakfast on Valentines Day and my son just looked at me and said that Ben Crosland's mom fixes breakfast everyday."  I was requested by my daughter to fix breakfast for all of her friends on the days they had "Morningsides" (Church firesides or devotionals held early in the morning) between the Morningside and school starting.  I even served breakfasts to boyfriends that would stop by on their way to college.
THEN Jessi came along and she didn't like hot breakfast food in the morning and she was my last one so I resorted to letting her have cold cereal in the morning if it wasn't sugar cereal etc etc.  Soon I wasn't feeling great about this decision because I truly believe that kids do better in school with a complete breakfast.  So I had to change my thinking a bit and I began making smoothies in the morning and Jessi would drink those.  I had to finally realize that there is more nutrition in my smoothies than there ever was in my hot breakfasts.  They are the way to go I believe.  I not only put fruit in them, but I fill them with green vegetables (especially spinach or kale or cabbage or any veggies I happen to have in my fridge)  I found that if I put blueberries or blackberries in them it hides the green color and Jessi would drink them lots better.  I put ground flax in or protein powder.  They are delicious and so full of nutrition that now I have a hard time making anything else for breakfast.  If we are craving breakfast food I will make it, but I seem to need a smoothie sometime during the day.  It is amazing to learn, both to ourselves and to our children, but we do get wiser with age.

No comments:

Post a Comment