THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Weeds

After spending the past three mornings weeding our vegetable garden boxes I have some thoughts about weeds.  The boxes had obviously been neglected and the weeds were overtaking the vegetables. Three mornings of weeding is insane, but totally worth it when I look at the boxes.  I should of taken some before pics.


 I realize that most men could of weeded these 8 boxes in an hour or two and it took me six.  I spent from 7 a.m.--9 a.m. each morning for three days.  Since weeding is usually a solitary experience, (mainly because no one wants to get near me in case I ask them to help) I had lots of time to think.  I realized that I was completely obsessed to get the root out with every weed I pulled.  I had to dig and pull and dig some more to completely get out each root.  I knew from experience that if a male person was weeding, as long as the weed top was gone it was sufficient.  I have observed this frequently.  It looks great, but soon, very soon, the weed has grown again.  I was pondering why I was so determined to get every root out with the weed and it came to me.  As a mother and homemaker I spend each day washing the same dishes over and over again.  All the dishes can be totally done and clean and I need a drink of water and then Yup I have dirty dishes again that need to be washed.  Laundry is exactly the same way.  The same clothes are washed week after week and there is just a short minute when ALL the clothes are clean.  Yes, weeding does need to be done over and over again through out the summer, but I refuse, absolutely refuse, to pull the same weed over and over again.  If I pull it once, it had better be gone for good.  So it took me three days to weed 8 small boxes and I'm sure I will need to do it again soon.

As I was spending this time in my garden I began to reflect on the weeds in my life.  Was I as intent on removing the roots from my soul as I was from the garden?  I find myself repenting of the same thing night after night.  Obviously I'm not removing them completely or the same problems wouldn't keep reappearing.  I'm resolving to do better.  If I can totally remove a weed from my life then I can work on the next one and then the next one so I won't become totally overwhelmed with weeds entangled in my life.  How grateful I am for repentance and the opportunity to clear out the noxious weeds.  Hopefully I will be diligent and dig deep in my soul and completely remove the roots of all the sins and shortcomings that I have.  I recognize that daily repentance is necessary, it will never end, but hopefully I can be better each day.
Tomorrow morning----- I will move on to the raspberry patch!


No comments:

Post a Comment