THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Sunday, August 5, 2012

A Very Large To-Do List

I've been inspired by one of my dear friends who is turning 25 this month.  (Most of my friends are under the age of 30)  She made a list of 25 things she wanted to do before she turned 25.  She shared it with me and it seemed like such fun that I wanted to do the same thing.  Since I just turned 55 I decided I could do "55 things I wanted to do while I was 55".
When I began making the list I had no idea how daunting coming up with 55 items could be.  Wow I must be old because 55 is a lot!!!  It has taken me a couple of weeks, but I finally finished the list and while I was making it I actually accomplished some that were at the beginning of my list.
I started with some I knew I was already planning to do such as visit North Dakota and Oregon because I definitely will be going to see grandkids during the year.
Every time I  had a thought pass through my mind like "I need new kitchen towels because these are so grungy" I would write on my list "Buy kitchen towels".
I am the greatest procrastinator in the world so I had lots of items like "Fill our 55 gallon water barrels"  I bought them for our storage 2 years ago and they are still empty.  Awesome, aren't I?  I have several of those type on my list.
Also, I recall as last summer drifted away feeling so sad that I hadn't even taken the time to get a shaved ice, ride my bike or go to a farmers market so those are on my agenda.
Things I know I should be doing but I'm not such as learning to Index or doing personal and family history are written down so I can be motivated to start.
Skills I've wanted to master such as learning to use our SLR camera and growing indoor plants have been added to my list.
What a great project this has become and I can already see some great personal growth that will be gained as I undertake this goal.  My family and I will all be blessed as I focus on the things that need to be done as well as those that I want to do.  I see the end result as a happier me and that always results in a happier family.  The old adage is true that the Mother Sets the Tone for the Family.

2 comments:

  1. I love this. I think I'll make my own! My favorites are #2, #3, #18, #30, and #32!!

    ReplyDelete