THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Monday, September 24, 2012

What A Week!!

Last week was one of those weeks that make you hold your breath and hold on for dear life, hoping you come out on top.   It began on Sunday when I bawled all afternoon because I missed the YSA Ward so much.  You would think it was me that had served as their Bishop instead of Jeff.  As I sat in our home ward I was overwhelmed with feelings of wanting to be surrounded by my young friends, who unconditionally loved and accepted me no matter what was happening in my life.  I do love them all.  I will blog more about them soon.
On Tuesday Jessi walked down into our basement after she returned home from school and our ENTIRE basement was covered in water.  This was a flood extraordinaire!!  More on that later.
I had squeezed in a trip to Oregon to see my grandkids and I was supposed to be leaving the next day.  I quickly texted them to tell them I would not be coming.  Later that night as we were still reeling from flood recovery Jeff insisted that I still go the next day.  I think his insistence on my leaving the disaster stemmed  somewhat from my emotional breakdown on Sunday.  Oh well.
After getting most things boxed up that were removed from our basement and the wet items drying, I boarded the airplane and headed to Oregon.  More on that later.
I hadn't been in Oregon 24 hours when Jeff called me to tell me that his mother's husband had passed away that morning.  I quickly changed my return flight, cutting my stay short, so that I could be home for the funeral.
Today was the funeral.  LaRae married Ed VandiVere two years after Jeff's dad passed away.  This man was a saint and heaven sent to our family.  LaRae was incredibly demanding on Jeff's time while her husband was sick and after he passed away.  Jeff is so great with her but the strain was incredible to meet her needs especially after being called as Bishop.  Just a couple of months after his call, LaRae met Ed at the assisted living center where they both lived.  They were soon married and he has been so good to her and taken such great care of her needs that it eased the burden on Jeff tremendously.  If it wouldn't of been for Ed he could of never spent the time serving that he did.
Interestingly, just weeks after Jeff was  released Ed was called home.  Jeff now has the time to care for his mother.  I truly believe that Ed was sent into her life so that Jeff could use his time with the Young Single Adults.
LaRae and Ed were at our home for Sunday Dinner two weeks ago when I mentioned to him that he got a lot more than he bargained for in this marriage.  He very lovingly replied that he enjoyed taking care of people and LaRae liked being taken care of so it worked out great for both of them.
Listening to his children speak at the funeral today I realized that is what he spent his life doing-- caring and loving other people.  He was certainly a man without guile.  His daughter mentioned that his life motto was "No Retaliations--Ever"  He lived that and because of it he was free to be happy to love and to serve.  What an incredible example he has been to my family and me and I hope to instill that motto in my life.  We would all be so much happier if we accepted and loved unconditionally and never held bad feelings for those who might offend us.
Ed,  Thank you for coming into our lives, for loving and accepting us despite all our shortcomings.  How thankful I am for the time and example you have shared with us.  Enjoy your reunion with your dear wife, Barbara.  We do love you and will miss you.

1 comment:

  1. Well said Bonnie! I am sorry about your hectic wife and more sorry I never was able to catch up to you to chat! I did enjoy chatting with Jeff, Jess and Amy....I LOVE YOUR FAMILY!

    ReplyDelete