THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Who Am I Anyway?

During the past week I have had time I could spend studying without feeling guilty or thinking I should be doing something else.  Airplane rides, Beach time present the perfect opportunity.  It was wonderful.  I used those moments to read and study a new book just published titled "The Beginning of Better Days"  'Divine Instruction to Women for the Prophet Joseph Smith'   Go here to check it out.
It contains six sermons given by the Prophet Joseph to the Relief Society in 1842.  These are his inspired thoughts presented only to the women!!  They are awesome, but equally insightful are the personal memoirs of Sheri Dew and Virginia Pearce that are included in the book.  I have read and reread them many times in the past few days.
As I studied the book it was interesting to note that Sis. Pearce was struggling with the same two questions I have been asking myself continually for the past couple of years.  "Who am I anyway?"  I mean like who am I, myself, not just as my roles as wife, mother, grandmother and friend?  The second question is always forefront in my mind.  "What should I do with my life now?"  or I guess more appropriately worded  "What do You (Obviously meaning the Lord) want me to do"
I believe that all women, whether a Young Single Adult, a mother of young children, or an empty nester like I will soon be, ask these same questions.   I have been taught and I know it to be true that there is a mission that we all individually have been sent to earth to accomplish.  Have I done it?  Will I know when it is presented to me?  Will I be prepared and willing?
At times I don't even know who I am, I'm sure thankful the Lord does.  Even as a young adult I was criticized for changing personalities to fit whom I was dating.  Thank heavens that with Jeff I felt comfortable with the real me.  Now with years of life experiences, struggles, different types of friends and acquaintances, I wonder again;  "Who am I really?"
 I have made a concerted effort in the past few weeks to be true to me, my personality, and dress and act and spend my time doing what my inner soul and spirit admonishes me to be and do.  It has been an interesting journey and one that I hope will continue for quite a while.  I need to relearn Who I Really Am?
I love how the Prophet Joseph speaks about women's desire to serve, to be charitable.  About the privileges we receive as we worship in the temple.  He touches on the sacredness of the marriage covenant and the importance of the Priesthood.  As I continue to study his words, I want to know that I am living up to all that the Lord desires of me, that I am striving daily to keep my covenants.  I want to look in the mirror each morning and like what I see and know that I am trying to be ME the woman the Lord wants ME to be, living up to the privileges He has afforded ME and developing the gifts that I am blessed to possess.

2 comments:

  1. So I read your blog from time to time (I link through from Carly's blog- I'm friends with her and I grew up with her) anywho I love this post. Without going into unnecessary detail, you've shed light on a question I find running through my head often. That book sounds great, I think it is a resource I've been looking for but have never found until now. Oh the ways in which the Lord works! Thanks for your insightful words... And sorry for blog stalking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment and I'm so glad you found some help. You're right-- the Lord does work in marvelous ways. I would love you to read the blog anytime. That is why I write it!!!

    ReplyDelete