THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Let Us Help Them Learn For Themselves

I finished reading the Oct 2011 Conference talks this morning and I just feel like I need to share a bit from one of them.  They are all filled with incredible wisdom and insights but occasionally something really moves me because it is what I personally need to learn.  I'm sure that is what this is, just for me, but here it is for you to read and ponder.  Matthew O. Richardson, who is Second Counselor in the Sunday School General Presidency said  "The Spirit leads, guides and shows us what to do. He will not, however do for us what only we can do for ourselves.  You see, the Holy Ghost cannot learn for us, feel for us, or act for us because this would be contrary to the doctrine of agency.  He can facilitate opportunities and invite us to learn, feel, and act.  Those who teach after this manner of the Spirit help others by inventing, encouraging, and providing them opportunities to use their agency.  Parents...realize they cannot feel for, learn for, or even repent for the family.  Rather than asking, "What can I do for my children...?' they ask, 'How do I invite and help those around me to learn for themselves?'.  Parents who mirror the workings of the Holy Ghost create homes where families learn to value rather than just learn about values."  

It is interesting that in our family and I'm certain in other families as well that most of our children developed our values.  They became their values also.  They were internalized by them and they would defend them as readily or more so that I would.  Then another who definitely knows about values, has no question in his mind what I value, but has not internalized all of those himself.  I have to ask, did he not experience the same opportunities to develop those? Did he purposely choose not to embrace them?  I'm not sure what the answer is to that, but I know my prayers have changed for him as I read this article.  Now I pray 'that the Holy Ghost will facilitate those opportunities in his life that he can learn for himself to value those principles that will bring true happiness to his life'.  I need to be more aware so that I can provide opportunities in our home that those values can be reinforced and learned and relearned by all of our family members often.

No comments:

Post a Comment