THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Monday, December 19, 2011

Pinocchio, Jingle, Frosty, and Dobby

A couple of years ago I started a Christmas Tradition that is maybe more work than it is worth, but all the families seem to enjoy it so I continue each year.  We do the 12 Days of Christmas for each of the kids and their families and also one for the kids still living at home.  I decide on a theme and all the gifts and messages tie into the theme.  The first year our theme was "Family", last year it was "The Magic of Christmas is not in the Presents but in His Presence", and this year I really changed direction and did "Imagination".  I always give them their 12 Days all at once with the instruction to open one each day.  Of course, I have to mail Ben and Carrie's and then usually have to tweak the  one for Kevin and Jessi because they are single and live at home.  Not to complain, but it is a great deal of work, but even as I write this I have to smile because it really has been so fun.  This year I introduced an elf with Day #1.  They were to decide the elf's name as a family.  Then each evening before they go to bed they sprinkle the elf with magic snowflakes and he comes alive at night.  Sometimes he can be a real nuisance and some nights he is very kind.  (Yes this is a lot like the Elf on the Shelf that you can buy at the store, but of course, I didn't think that elf was very cute so I had to spend days searching for the perfect elf.  I will never understand why I make my life so difficult.)  Pinocchio, Jingle, Frosty and Dobby are the names that have been bestowed upon these elves.  It has been reported that in each house they have each been incredibly busy turning the milk green, decorating the kitchen with snowflakes, building towers, bringing paper to write notes to Santa and the list goes on and on.  Unfortunately Kevin and Jessi have gotten a lazy elf.  Dobby has not moved from his original perch and yesterday they requested to switch elves with Tyler or Amy because their elves seem to be much more fun.  Obviously I am really being a slacker.  I seem to be enjoying hearing the stories from the grandkids on the escapades of their elves much more that I am being original to help poor Dobby out.  Maybe tonight he will surface with a surprise!!


Dobby sitting where he was first placed.  That Lazy Elf!!
Just had to throw this picture in.  Jessi on her way to the Christmas Dance. Notice - Dobby is making sure she is all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment