THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas Reflections

Every December I strive to have a Christmas that is organized and low stress, just sitting back eating bonbons on the last few days before Christmas.  Every year I am running around crazy needing every last minute to accomplish what I want done before the big day.  This year I decided that is not remotely feasible for me to do a low stress holiday.  It is just not in the genes or something.  Though I did feel a different focus on Christmas this year.  I'm usually excited about some spectacular gift we are giving to the kids or to Jeff, but this time gifts were not in my thoughts.  My gifts I had chosen to give were nice but practical instead of fun.  I knew that they would be appreciated but would not bring oohs and ahhs.  This year I wanted to spend time with dear friends and family members.  I planned extended family get togethers (some worked some didn't), dinners with couple friends, and lunch with my friends.  It became a joke with Jeff that the first question he would ask me in the morning was "Who are you having lunch with today?"  After gaining I'm sure several pounds, (I haven't stepped on the scales yet) I was quite successful in this feat and it made for a wonderful December.  My house wasn't clean for the big day, not all the extras were done, not many Christmas movies were watched or Christmas books read, but overall I believe it was very successful.  We had some great times and we ate great food.  Isn't that really what it is all about --Food and Family.

One of our 12 Days of Christmas has traditionally been to have a Donut Party at our house, complete with dinner and homemade donuts.  This year I decided we needed to go together and see the Layton City Lights also.  They are incredible for children because they have a myriad of lit animals.  It was cold but the kids loved it.  So did the Grandma.

                                            Lucy and Blake standing near this ferocious dinosaur!!

Our entire group for the evening

                                                                    Donuts in the making!!

                      Blake helping me make sugar cookies on Christmas Eve morning.  What's the rush?


 It was our off year for Christmas Eve so Kevin, Jessi, Jeff and I were on our own.  We went to Taggart's Grill for dinner and then to the movie.  We saw "We Bought A Zoo"  and loved it.


                                                                     Christmas Morning

About 9:30 a.m. everyone showed up for scones.  (If you feed them they will come)  We had a wonderful rest of the day, exchanging presents, attending church together, and eating, eating, eating.  Ben and Carrie were in Oklahoma so we Skyped them and had them join us for a few minutes.  If they would of been with us the day would of been entirely complete.





                          Grandma LaRae spent the day with us, which was a pleasant surprise.

The kids surprised us with this beautiful picture collage.  It is matted ready to hang on our wall.  It is amazing to me the many fun items that can be made digitally.  Unfortunately the cellophane was still on it when I took the picture but you can get the idea.  It is so fun to really spend some time examining each photo.  It is priceless.  

2 comments:

  1. Hurrah! You started blogging again. Maybe I will too. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun!
    1. I need to try those donuts!
    2. I love Taggarts.
    3. The picture of the 2 babies is adorable!
    and 4. I love you!

    ReplyDelete