THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

One Sentence Journal

I read Gretchen Rubin's book The Happiness Project several months ago and loved it.  Like so many things in life you take parts of it that speak to you and incorporate them in your lives and let go of the rest.  There is good to be found in so many places.  A couple of weeks ago I was rereading parts of it to search for something and I read again the part about one sentence journals.  I dismissed it last time I read it but this time I noticed the format that she used and I had an "AH HA" moment and I decided I wanted to try it.  If you use the book that she designed there is a great daily quote and then every year on that specific date you write your one sentence caption to explain your day.  The beauty of it to me is that each year for five years can be reread and remembered as you write for that year.  I didn't understand the first time that the days would be listed on the same page each year.  

After ordering my journal on Amazon, (my go-to for everything) I started writing daily about two weeks ago.  Even if you miss a day, it is so easy to catch up as you recall memorable moments of days passed and write a quick sentence.  For those of us who are not journal writers, who will never be journal writers, and are overwhelmed by the thought of one more thing to do, this is the answer.  Quick memories written will not be forgotten and I can smile about them in the future, see the progress I may have made, and maybe someday my grandchildren can appreciate this glimpse into my life.  Another plus is only having to store one small book for five years of memories.  

No comments:

Post a Comment