THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Monday, October 1, 2012

Oregon Adventures

In the past few years I have traveled to Europe, the Caribbean, South America, Hawaii and Alaska with  multiple layovers and connections.  I have never lost a suitcase or even had one delayed.  I believe that suitcases changing airlines and having multiple stops and arriving at the same time and place that the owner does should be hailed as one of the greatest wonders of the world.  I have been incredibly fortunate.  However last week when I flew on a nonstop, 1 and 1/2 hour flight to Portland my suitcase was missing when I got there.  The airline knew where it was, but all I knew was it wasn't in Portland.  As I left the airport they assured me that my suitcase would be delivered to Ben's house in just a few short hours.  24 Hours later we were still waiting for it to appear.  Go figure.  At least Ben and Carrie had an extra contact case and a children's toothbrush for me to use.  What else do you need?
I love Oregon!!  This was only the second time I have been there, but it definitely ranks as one of my favorite places.  Of course I have never been there during the rainy season so that may change my mind somewhat.
Carrie has the greatest friends there.  I just love the kind of people that she knows.  They are trying to be self sufficient and are so not into materialism.  She had told me that nobody wore makeup in Oregon.  How great would that be?
She has friends who have incredible gardens, growing every nutritious vegetable known and a few not so known.  One of them owns bee hives so they can have fresh raw honey.  Another cute lady built her own house.  She did it, not her husband, she did.  It was a beautiful home.  The amazing thing is they have six children.  Carrie has a neighbor who had an overabundance of basil so she invited Carrie to come to her house and they made Pesto.  Another lady, who has seven children, writes the most incredible, well thought out, intellectual yet spiritual blogs I have ever read.  Ben and Carrie mentioned that she has a complete one year supply of food for her entire family of nine.  I met almost all of these women. They seemed incredibly kind and unassuming, concerned about others and of course they just love Carrie and her family.  I would love to visit and become acquainted with each one of them.  I'm sure they have incredible stories.
We had a great time and it was so fun to see the grandkids.  They have grown up so much.  Cody is so proud that he is now in kindergarten.  The two girls are wonderful.  We had an awesome visit even if it was cut short because of the funeral.
We spent a couple of days at the coast.  It is only about an hour drive from their home.  The first day we headed to the Aquarium.  I loved it.  Check our Carrie's Blog to read a fun version of our experiences.

 On Saturday Ben came with us and we went to the tide pools.  (I love tide pools, could be one of my favorite things to do.)
 Cody really loves them too.  He can tell you about all the marine life that he finds.  I'm so impressed with his interest and knowledge.
 We went on a whale watching adventure.  We saw whales, but they are too difficult for me to get pictures of.  We also did some crabbing which was fun.  This is Ben pulling in the crab cage with Cody watching closely to see what we caught.
 Playing with the Crabs!!  Mackayla thought they were great.
 Macy not so much.

 After that adventure we stopped by the beach for a little sand play.  I think kids and beaches were made to go together.  Children are never happier than at the beach.  Obviously it doesn't matter if it is even cold.

I can't wait to go back.  It is an incredible opportunity this year to soak up as much of this culture as I can while they live there.  I absolutely LOVE it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment