THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

My Choice

Jessi and her boyfriend Spjut (Mitch) carved this pumpkin on a date with several other couples last weekend.  The pumpkin is quite ordinary, sorry Jess, and it in itself is not what I am blogging about. It was the conversation about it the next day that has had me pondering for several days now.
One of the other girls in the group hosted them at her home.  Jessi mentioned about how she liked going to her house because this particular girl's mother did so much for them.  She was talking about the cute pumpkin cookies the mom had made and then continued to say that while they were busy doing something else, the mom cleaned out all of the pumpkins for every couple.  I was beginning to feel very guilty and inferior because I knew there was no way I would be cleaning out all of those pumpkins, when Jessi said that this girl mentioned that her mom was so bored and had nothing to do so she liked doing these things for her.
THEN I made the comment about how I wished I had that life, that I was so bored that I had nothing to do but clean out pumpkins for my college age daughter and friends WHEN Jessi and Jeff immediately and simultaneously said  "You would hate that.  You would absolutely hate not having something to do."
I immediately knew they were right.  I chose the life I have, as crazy as it is at times.  I choose to volunteer, I choose to take classes, I choose to take friends to lunch, I choose to play with my kids and grandkids, I choose to blog, I choose to travel and I choose a myriad of other things to do because I don't like being bored.  As out of control as my life seems at times, I now realize it is because I have chosen it.
The interesting thing about this is the epiphany that every other woman has chosen how they want to live their life.  Yes some may have much more responsibility in earning a living or caring for elderly parents or young children, but we all have a choice on how we spend our discretionary time.  My neighbor whom I envy at times because she has kept her life so simple and stress free has chosen that life style.  It works for her, and though I think I desire it, I certainly don't change my life to acquire it so I now realize that if I really wanted it I would change how I live.
The great thing is that we never need to judge one another on how we utilize our time.  No one will choose the same thing we do and that is Okay.  If that sweet mom wants to scoop out those pumpkin seeds---good luck and have fun.  My kids will be scooping out their own.
 We can even choose whether to be happy and content with our lives, no matter what has been thrown at us, or we can choose to be miserable.  The choice as always is ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment