THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

I was a great mother before....

I was a great mother before I had children.  I remember thinking I had all the answers about parenting and then something happened....  I started having kids.  After five children the realization struck me that I have absolutely no advice about raising children.  They don't seem to do what the book says they will do, react how they should, or follow the loving suggestions that you give to them.  The best suggestion (notice not advice) I have is to love them unconditionally, pray for them constantly, and teach them the Gospel while they are young.  This concept was reiterated to me just last week.  When the children were young we had them sit and listen intently (?) to our LDS General Conference on Sunday morning while it was broadcast onTV.  Sunday afternoon was optional for them if they would play quietly while we listened.  Optional all except when the prophet spoke.  Then we would call them in to listen while he gave his closing message.  This year our 23 year old son, Kevin, is in jail.   He hasn't attended church since he was 18.  The Monday after Conference he called to tell me that he had asked the other inmates if he could change the channel on Sunday at 3:40.  Being a little slow, I did not understand what he was saying.  After continuing to question him about the 3:40, he declared "Mom, the prophet speaks then during conference".  Wow, he remembered after all those years that we all would listen to the prophet at the end of conference and he made a stand in jail to watch those closing few minutes.  Teach them while they are young, Pray for them, and Love them unconditionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment