THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Butterfly Life


Butterflies have always symbolized many things in my life.  Eons ago when I was young, foolish and rebellious they became a symbol of freedom.  Unfortunately the freedom I desired at that time was from all that was good in my life.  Now as I reflect on those times it wasn't a butterfly that represented my life it was an ugly obnoxious moth.  Thankfully that era in my life was short lived.  Now I realize the freedom that they represent is a freedom from worldly possessions and temptations.  They have become almost spiritual to me as they symbolize an ethereal existence that isn't burdened with the filth, vulgarity, and unholiness that is present in the world today.  They can fly above all that and so can we as we become in tune with the spirit and fill our lives with family, faith and uplifting friends.  

When Jessi and I were at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park we went to a butterfly exhibit that was an enclosed, luscious green sanctuary that was filled with butterflies of all kinds.  It was breath taking.  As you quietly strolled along the paths the butterflies would just randomly land on you.  It was so cool.  

I had on a green shirt that they loved.  I think they thought it was another plant.
 Jessi had on this orange shirt which I thought they would love, but she didn't attract near as many as my green shirt did.  The guides told us that surprisingly the butterflies love white shirts.

                                                                Another one on my shirt.
              My lungs really enjoyed the humidity in the exhibit, but obviously my hair style does not.
This butterfly landed on my purse when we first went in and stayed right there the entire time we were walking around.  When this butterfly opens its wings it is an iridescent blue.  Probably the most striking of all the butterflies but it refused to open its wings during its ride on my purse so I could not get a picture of the beautiful color.  

Years ago and several times since in many lessons that I have taught I have used the analogy of a caterpillar changing into a butterfly.  The short version is this.  The caterpillar is not so cute but may be content with its slow and limited life.  It crawls on the ground maybe it can creep up a plant but it is certainly bound by its little legs and long body.  I'm sure it wants to be a butterfly, but it might be scary to make that change because it is a very drastic change and life is comfortable the way it is because that is all they know and understand.  Finally the desire to become something greater, more beautiful and certainly to have a more fulfilled life overcomes their belief in their world as it is now.  They decide to make the change.  They have to want to be a butterfly bad enough that they are willing to give up being a caterpillar!!  Just like that caterpillar we have to give up what we are and where we are now to become the best we can be.  It is scary and maybe some of the habits, hobbies and routines are comfortable and we understand them and their outcomes.   BUT are they taking us where we know we should be going, are we achieving all that we could be accomplishing, and are we living the life the Lord intended for us to live.  We need to want to be a butterfly bad enough that we are willing to give up being the caterpillar.

I have been so impressed with many of my young adult friends lately.  Lots of them are looking at their lives and leaving their comfort zones and striving to be incredible butterflies.  They are changing jobs and careers, starting businesses, attending graduate school, moving out of state.  It is obviously the season for them to change.  I realize that for most of them this isn't the life they dreamed of as a child, but they are making the most of where they are and utilizing the many gifts they have been blessed with and leaving their caterpillar lives.
Now I need to think about what I am doing.  Scary thought.  I have become caught up in many caterpillar activities that need to be changed in my life.  I realize I could do so much more, serve more diligently, and use my time more meaningfully.  Now is the time to not only spring clean my closets, cupboards, and rooms but to spring clean my habits, hobbies and routines.

No comments:

Post a Comment