THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Sunday, April 8, 2012

3 New "Firsts"

Spring Break has always been a time in our family to travel and celebrate together.  When our oldest son was in high school we decided to plan a "FUN" trip over spring break with the family and then he wouldn't be tempted to have a "Friends only" spring break trip.  This tradition has stayed with us since.  Many years we took friends with us but it was always a family trip first and foremost.  The only bad thing about that is we never developed many Easter Traditions because we were either in a hotel, just getting home, or just leaving depending on the timing of Spring Break.  We have some incredible memories though!!

This year Jessi and I were the only ones on hand for our annual spring break vacation.  This trip was actually a pay off for an incentive (Note: Not a Bribe but Incentive) for Jessi to finish her Personal Progress Award.  Learn more about that here.   The timing was perfect for us to go during spring break.  The timing couldn't of been more perfect for me personally either because before we went I was emotionally and physically exhausted.  I kept telling my kids the few weeks before we left that I was "weary".  My mom used to use that word and it has taken me until I am 54 years old to really understand what she meant.  I was "weary".

It is amazing though what four days in San Diego can do to rejuvenate the spirit and the body.  The ocean has always been healing to me.  I thought deeply about it this time I was there and we really didn't spend much time at all on the beach, but I still felt so much better.  I have decided that the humidity and being at sea level are also huge in the equation.  I also have a great love for palm trees.  I loved living in Las Vegas mainly because we could have palm trees in our yard.
                     We could see this Palm Tree from our hotel room in San Diego.  Definitely Healing.

This trip had a few personal firsts for me.
1.  I drove on the California Freeways!!  That really isn't a first because I did a few years ago and because of that I was incredibly nervous about it this time.  Last time I was following another car this time I was on my own.  That is not exactly true.  There were three of us involved in this endeavor.  I was the driver, Jessi would tell me where to go, and the sweet lady on the GPS would figure out which direction and which freeway to take.  We could of never done it without the GPS.  Thank heavens for modern technology.  We certainly worked out a great system between the three of us.  Jessi kept telling me that she felt like the mom because she was always telling me where to go and I told her I cherished the role reversal because I was tired of being responsible and in charge so feel free to take over the mom role, it is up for grabs.

2.  The next personal first happened at San Diego Safari Park.  We had a great day in the park, we had rode the tram to visit the remake of the African Plains and was walking on the trails to see the rest of the African animals that couldn't be let loose on the plains with the others i.e. lions, tigers, and bears.  OK no bears.  We were near the lions and they were laying down napping.  Pretty boring so most of the people walked on, then we noticed that the big male lion had got up and was urging one of the females to get up also.  When she did he climbed on her back and probably 5 yards in front of us they began to mate.  The funniest thing about it was an elderly lady standing next to us was narrating exactly what was going on.  It was hilarious and definitely a first.

3.  The best first for the trip was that Jessi and I went on a Segway Tour!!  It was so much fun.  We chose a shorter one not knowing how it would go, but we both mentioned when it was over that we could of gone much further.  It was a blast.  Everyone at home was so surprised that I was willing to do it.  I really must be boring at home.  We loved it!!


No comments:

Post a Comment