THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Monday, April 16, 2012

You Reap What You Sow

Yesterday was our ward conference in our YSA ward and Jeff spoke on the Law of Harvest.  His message was amazing.  He had pondered and prayed about this for weeks and obviously the spirit was with him.  He talked about how we reap what we sow.  We will not reap anything different.  When we plant peas we get peas not corn.  We can't cram and plant in September hoping to have a harvest by the end of the week.  We need to prepare the soil(remove any impurities, toxins), plant, nourish, and then we can reap.  The most important element is the sun (Son) through out the process.  Amazing.

Through out his talk it kept coming to me that this was the same concept as I mentioned in my last post about giving up being a caterpillar to become a butterfly.  We can't become a butterfly without lots of giving up unproductive habits, nourishing good habits or planting new ones, and the Son always needs to be involved.

I began to reflect on where I was at when I heard this analogy of the butterfly.  I remember I had two small children and probably was pregnant with my third.  I attended an American Mothers Convention and was in a class taught by Elaine McKay.  I remembering her saying forcefully "You need to want to be a butterfly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar."  I'm sure she said it much more eloquently but that is all I've got this morning.  Anyway----I knew immediately what I needed to change.  This sounds so silly now, but was so important to me then.  I watched two soap operas daily and I needed to stop.  They were overtaking my life.  The soap operas then were like the reality TV shows now, full of drama, back biting, promiscuousness and deceit.  I would plan my day around them, I would worry about the characters after the show.  It was sick.  I am proud to say that from that day forward I never watched them again.  It was so difficult at first, but I'm sure that Luke and Laura from General Hospital got along just fine without me and if they didn't I don't know because I didn't watch.  There- self confession-but I know I immediately became a much better person, not only because I had an extra hour in my day, but because I wasn't being dragged down by the smut I was involved in as I watched them.

Today I don't watch TV at all so I know that is not a habit I need to change, but I do know I need to start sowing some greater seeds than I am currently sowing because I do know what I want to reap.  Obviously some real deep contemplation and prayer needs to take place this week.  Just watch.  It is going to be amazing because one day I'm going to be an incredible butterfly!!

No comments:

Post a Comment