THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Monday, January 16, 2012

Roots and Wings

“There are two things children should get from their parents: roots and wings.” 
 Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

As a parent I used that quote in much of my parenting.   Since I was born with a wanderlust spirit and loved to go, see, do and experience I wanted that for my children also.  I've never wanted to pass up any opportunity I had so I tried to instill that desire in them.  Life can be an adventure so go for it and enjoy every moment.  A couple of years ago I gave Amy a tile with the quote "Not all who wander are lost"  on it.  It was so fitting for her.  When I showed it to Jeff he mentioned that he had seen that quote engraved on a necklace and wanted to give it to me but was afraid I would be offended.   I guess Like Mom Like Daughter.
Obviously I also wanted my children to have roots, deep roots, because what can be more important than realizing the necessity and blessing of close families.  The bonding of traditions and dependence on each other are vital in surviving today's world.  Fortunately I think we did a fairly good job in both aspects but sometimes though I wish we wouldn't of been so successful with those wings because now that grandchildren are involved it is more painful.  Ben and Carrie have been gone for many years and their returning to Utah is doubtful.  Now Tyler and Carly are moving to North Dakota to pursue his career there.  Great things are happening in North Dakota!
 Luckily though those roots kick in and they encourage us to come and visit.  I always feel welcome when I need a "Grandma fix."  I just returned from visiting Oklahoma and loved every minute of my trip.  While there Ben had to list his preferences for a residency that he wants to achieve.  Post Doctoral work!!  Amazing and definitely expanding those wings.  The kids were delightful to be with and I cherish each minute as I visit.
How proud I am of each one of our children.  What an adventure it is to see them expand their wings and roots in their own lives.
Here are some grandkids pics from Oklahoma.
 There is the most amazing Science Center in Oklahoma City.  The kids love it.  They have a pass so they can visit as often as they want.
                                                                      Making clouds!!
                                                                      Construction Zone
                                                                          Painting a home
                                                             Mackayla enjoying the day
                                                               Building and racing a car

                                                                        Swimming Lessons
Mackayla has changed from a tiny newborn to a fun strong baby since I last saw her.  They develop so rapidly at this age.  How fun it was to enjoy her.

No comments:

Post a Comment