THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Monday, January 9, 2012

True Love is a Decision

My dear and very liberal friend Sandy was telling me the other day about her daughter who has been living with her boyfriend for the past two years.  Her daughter has decided the flame is gone from their relationship and she is ready to move on to someone or something different.  Sandy said to me, (remember this is very liberal Sandy)  if they were married this is when they would bear down and work it out.  That is why you get married so that you don't just leave when the romance is gone but work together and make it succeed.  I was incredibly proud of Sandy and her insight.   She is so right.  When you first get married or I guess get together it is a very immature love.  It can be real but it hasn't been developed to what it can and should be.  True love is a decision.  It is a decision to stick together, help each other and do whatever it takes to become one.  Sandy doesn't have in her vocabulary "eternal love' or 'celestial love' but that is what to what she is referring.  I know that is the kind of love I have decided I want with Jeff.  I made that decision years ago and as marriages go through the refiners fire because of the circumstances of life that is the decision that holds you together and brings you closer instead of separates you.
So those of you who are looking for a spouse I suggest that on your list of qualifications for the perfect spouse, (you know the one that I hope lists responsible, considerate, clean, virtuous etc) after all those are found then the greatest one needs to be  "Is this a person I want to love by nurturing, caring, and compassionately serving him or her?"  If you are already married you can ask yourself, "How can I really nurture and love my spouse?"  If you are only looking for ways they can help you or fulfill your desires then you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize you are the one that needs to serve.  That is the decision to find true love.


I realize I'm not the perfect example to write this, but I know it is true.  It gives me something to think about and work on more diligently today and always. I want to always be one in my marriage.  Just look at that cowboy.  Isn't he great?

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! I couldn't agreed more. I once had a friend to said, "You can't choose who you love" and I remember thinking, that is so wrong-You CAN choose who you love! Sometimes in marriage I think you have to choose to love your spouse every day, to keep on loving them and keep on working together, no matter what life throws at you.

    (Thanks for blogging, I enjoy reading your posts)

    ReplyDelete