THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Friday, March 23, 2012

It Works!!

I have always been impressed and envious of those people who speak about feelings and promptings of the spirit in their daily lives.  I definitely have felt the spirit, but I felt a little robbed when it came to the inspiration and guidance in my decisions and actions.  After much studying and prayer I learned it was my fault not the spirits that I was not having these experiences.  I needed to pay the price for this gift and I wasn't putting forth enough effort.  I knew I wasn't, but it was difficult to hear and read.  So I have tried to improve in my every day spiritual habits so I could be in tune and recognize these promptings.  In the past I taught institute for several years so my scripture reading became a feast or famine type offering.  I would spend hours and hours preparing a lesson and then for a few days after teaching I would take a vacation and read nothing of a spiritual nature.  I learned so much, but I know now I missed the every day consistency of feasting on the Word.  So one of the items I have been improving on is reading and studying my scriptures every single day and I can proudly admit that I have not missed a day since January 1.  I love it, I look forward to reading and believe it or not-----It works!!  I have felt more impressions and guidance of the spirit than I ever have before.  Who would guess that our latter day prophets and the prophets of old knew what they were talking about when they encourage us to read our scriptures daily,  especially the Book of Mormon?  Sarcasm aside, I'm a slow learner, but I'm a believer now and I will continue my EVERY SINGLE DAY reading of my scriptures.
One of the blessings of this habit have been warnings of impending disappointments or problems before they happen.  Last week I had the distinct impression that Kevin was going back to jail.  When he was first released several months ago he seemed to be a new and happy person, but I had noticed in the past month his demeanor changing and a darkness appearing.  The light was fading quickly.  Not thirty minutes after this thought so forcefully entered my mind I received a text from Kevin admitting that he had been participating in certain activities and he would not be able to pass his drug test so he was sure he was going back to jail.   Texting has always been his way of conveying bad news to me and countless times I have been totally broadsided by what he told me, but this time the spirit had warned me first and I was prepared and calm for the news.  How grateful I was that I was prepared to listen to the spirit and the comfort I felt from this.
Kevin is such a great person and has so much potential if he could just realize it.  Kevin is an incredible brother to Jessi.
 All the grandkids love him.  He is probably the favorite uncle.  Children can feel of his goodness.
FYI  Kevin was incarcerated and will be spending the next 90-120 days trying once again to have the strength to overcome this terrible addiction.  Please pray for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment