THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Monday, March 5, 2012

A Sunday Sermon

Last Sunday in our Sacrament Meeting one of our YS Adults gave his "Farewell Talk" before leaving to serve his mission in Africa.  I had taught this young man temple prep classes and so I have a very soft spot in my heart for him.  Being an incredible young man, he is also very simple, shy and unassuming.  As he spoke on Sunday it was clearly noticeable that he was nervous and concerned about his message.  It became the greatest sermon ever as he talked from the bottom of his heart about those things that were most dear to him.  He mentioned how the night before he was so nervous about speaking that he almost couldn't handle it so he determined to pray for help.  He prayed to overcome his fears and then he said he decided those words were not good enough.  He was speaking to his dad, he needed to be more personal.  He said I began again and told him that he was scared to death and what could he do.  He then recounted how the Lord told him to get in the bath and relax and all would be well.  "I would of never thought of that, but I did it and it worked" he told us.  The greatest lesson on prayer was given to us during that meeting.  I had to think do I speak to my Heavenly Father like I would my dad?  No, I am never that personal, but I can see the need to be.  We can still pray with respect but become much more "one on one" with the Lord as we really tell him our feelings instead of using those words that seem eloquent and proper.
He then quoted my favorite scripture which is used numerous times in talks and presentations.  It is found in Helaman 5:12
 12 And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon thearock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your bfoundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty cstorm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.
 In his simple and sincere voice this new missionary read this scripture with such emotion and fervor that it brought tears to my eyes.  Thank you Elder for sharing your testimony with me that day.  You taught well.  It will remain deep in my heart for sometime to come.  

No comments:

Post a Comment