THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Can You Stand Alone?

Sis Wendy Watson Nelson spoke at our stake's YSA Women's Conference on Saturday.  She is a wonderful, articulate and incredibly spiritual woman.  I love to hear her speak.  A couple of items that she said reminded me of this picture I took several years ago in my front yard.  The picture speaks for itself, but  I will share a couple of things she said.
First of all, she was quoting Steve Young, the famous Quarterback who played for the 49ers.  He said at a fireside she attended:  "If you are not all weird once a day you are not living your religion."  Love it.

She then was speaking on how we should be doing a 180 degree turn from every thing we see, hear and learn from popular media i.e. Movies, TV shows, Reality TV etc.  Almost everything they portray is the polar opposite of what we believe and desire.  Then after discussing that idea she said:  "If we fit in too much with the world we are in trouble."  Wow!! That thought has returned to me time and time again since she mentioned it.  It seems so often that the youth, young adults, and even older women try so diligently to look and act just like everyone else, when really it is a compliment to be different and stand out in a wholesome and happy way.  We need to be noticed not for the fashion or lifestyle that the world recognizes and accepts, but for taking a stand for modesty, virtue, and clean righteous living.  Each day I've started looking at what I'm wearing, how I'm acting and speaking, and how I'm dealing with others especially family members.  I ask myself if someone observed me today would they realize I'm trying to live the way the Lord wants me to look, live and act?  It is going to be even more difficult in the future as the world draws even further away from the teachings of our latter day prophets.  I love what Pres. Monson has said "You be the one to make a stand for right, even if you stand alone."  Hopefully I will always have the courage to stand alone if needs be for what is right.  Courage to us all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment