THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Books, Books, and More Books

As I have taken some time this month to ponder what I am truly thankful for I feel my gratitude list has changed over the years.  So many items on my list are no longer possessions, but more along the lines of thoughts, gifts of the spirit or friendships.  It is amazing that as I grow older worldly goods mean less and less and are almost bothersome to me because I have to store them or take care of them.  One possession though that I love and will always love are books.  How nerdy is that?  Whenever  I answer the question, If you had an afternoon to do anything you wanted what would you do?  My answer would always be READ.  I have been cleaning my bedroom tonight and I have two stacks of books each about 3 feet high by my bed.  These are books I still need to read.  It is almost an obsession to buy books.  It is very rare that I can check out at Costco without buying at least one book.  Amazon is my favorite web site and Deseret Book is my favorite store.  The ironic thing about my stacks of books by my bed is that Jeff bought me a Kindle last year for Christmas because we have no where to put anymore books.  It is full of books also.  I love my books and am so grateful for the ability to read.
This morning I finished an incredible book I would like to share with you.  It is A Return to Virtue by Elaine Dalton.  Wow, It is incredible and inspiring.  During the past few years in our singles wards we have focused much on Virtue, and I have had the opportunity to teach about it and speak on it often.  I have studied many of Sis Daltons talks extensively and she certainly has a personal mission to return the world to virtue.  Because of our service at the University of Utah wards, we have personally met her a few times.  Jeff actually has spent time in her office and she presented him a gold tie because of his work with the Virtue Value.  This book is a MUST read for any woman or man.  It can change your life for the better.  The back cover  has this quote printed on it.
"I truly believe that one virtuous woman or man, led by the Spirit, can change the world!  We need to stand for virtue in a world that is so rapidly departing from it."
--------Elaine S. Dalton

                                                                  Jeff with Sis Dalton

No comments:

Post a Comment