THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thanksgiving--From Devils to Divinity

Today I did my grocery shopping for Thanksgiving, at least most of it because who knows how many times I will have to return to the store to purchase something else.  I wanted some Thanksgiving type candy to put in some candy dishes to have around this weekend.  I couldn't find any!!  The only assortment of candies I could find were green and red.  I certainly don't want Christmas candy out for the Thanksgiving holiday.  In my frustration it reminded me of an article in Mormon Times I read recently written by Linda and Richard Eyre about how overlooked Thanksgiving has become and why we need to give it more thought and consideration.  I quote from them "I love to view Thanksgiving as the transition, the transformer and the transfer from the stress exhaustion of the first 11 months and from the darkness of Halloween to the peace and light of Christmas and the fresh start of another year."   I found the notion of it being the go between between Hell (Halloween) and Heaven (Christmas) very interesting.  It is definitely the beginning to a  wonderful time of year.   I'll admit I've listened to a small(?) amount of Christmas music this month, but today I even felt a little guilty doing that.  I want to remember Thanksgiving and make it memorable.    Our home teacher called tonight and he mentioned that he loved Thanksgiving because there are no gifts involved, it is an opportunity to just enjoy good food and each others company.   I loved that thought.  Hopefully starting the holiday season with a note of gratitude will help us remember Christmas for what it truly represents instead of worrying about what we might find under the tree.  So tonight I'm thankful for Thanksgiving.  Let's all embrace it and enjoy the transfer from devils to divinity!!

Oh just a side note--Kevin is doing great.  It has been delightful having him home.  Keep praying for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment