THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A Great Example

I've been pondering the idea of "It's not about me" since I wrote my post last night.  Obviously you can tell it has been on my mind often if I need to write about it two nights in a row.  As I thought of people who seemed to be encompassed by the thoughts of "It's all about me" I realized how unhappy they seem to be.  Life never measures up to their expectations.  They always want more or something different because nothing is ever quite right.
Those people who seem to be thinking "It's not about me, It's about someone else"  are incredibly happy.  No matter their circumstances they are satisfied and peaceful in their demeanor.  A good aura radiates from them and I can feel their concern for me and for other people in their lives.  They are refreshing to be around where in contrast the unhappy people are draining on my mind and energy.
My life is filled with people from both genres and I do love them both, but given a choice I would rather be with those who seem happy.  I hope most of the time I can return the favor and bring contentment into others lives.  I have a dear friend whom I spent the day with today who is the happiest person I know.  She is eccentric and lives her life to a different drummer but she is happy.  I love being with her.  She is the kindest most giving person.  She gives too much, if there is such a thing.  Material possessions mean absolutely nothing to her.  She has downsized so much that she rents one room in a home and loves it !!  She has no financial obligations besides the couple hundred dollars a month she pays in rent and she gives and gives and gives to every one she meets.  If you are ever the recipient of one of her gifts you can rest assured that an incredible amount of thought and time has gone into her gift.   Whether it is money, gift card or something she has purchased you know she gives it to you with love with no thought of getting anything in return.  She has mentioned to me before: "I am so happy, I know I shouldn't be.  I'm a widow, my kids live far away, I own nothing but my car, but I am so happy."  Sandy, you are happy because you know "It's not about me,  it's about others".  Thanks for your example, hopefully I can learn from you.

                                        Sandy in Lake Powell this summer.  Look at that smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment