THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

You Mean It Isn't About Me?

Jeff and I were visiting with some friends a few nights ago and they were mentioning how their son was disappointed in his singles ward because it was made up of those he had attended high school with and so there was nothing for him there.  (We hear that daily being in the single's ward loop)  Jeff made a profound comment that has reverberated in my mind since.  His thoughts were that it really wasn't about this person.  Everyone is so concerned about what is in it for them and that is not the point.  It's not about ME, it's about what can I do to help someone else in this ward.

As I have pondered this thought many times in the last few days I  have been aware of how often the world, the media, every where we turn we are bombarded with "What's in it for me?" I find myself often worrying about Me instead of worrying about others.  It is definitely natural to think, but it is not Christlike.   Unfortunately I sometimes feel like those around me are so concerned about clothes, accessories, hairdo's, what they don't have, that we are missing the reason why we are here.  Our purpose in coming to earth was not to accumulate possessions or to be the most beautiful. We came here to build the Kingdom and to help and serve others.  How easy it is to forget that fact when we seem to constantly be judged on how much we have and how we look.  My goal is to worry less about Me and to strive harder to think of others.  I want to know what the Lord wants me to do and whom he needs me to help.  Obviously He is truly the only one I need to please.

Here are the words to a familiar hymn that we sing in church.  Hopefully I can read them often and take them to heart.

Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone’s burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?
Then wake up and do something more
Than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,
A blessing of duty and love.1

1 comment: