THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Friday, November 18, 2011

Understanding Who You are

Davis High's production of Fiddler On The Roof is charming.  Jessi and I went last night and it was a long but very delightful evening.  I'm amazed at the quality of performances from high school students.  The setting of the stage was amazing.  Tevye, the star of the show, was perfectly cast.  I felt as he was an older man not just a senior in high school.  His emotion was phenomenal.  In the beginning of the play there is a quote by Tevye that should resonate as much truth now as it did then.  Tevye was speaking of his beloved town Anetevaka:  "In Anetevka, everyone knows who he is and what God expects him to do."  Unfortunately for Tevye and Golde they had children who opposed the teachings of their parents and made choices contrary to them just as many of us do today.  But they had been taught.  As I have gotten older I have realized that until anyone truly embraces the truth of who they are, A Child of God, they have a difficult time making positive choices and following the path that would lead them to happiness.  If we really understand 'who we are' then it is not as difficult to dress modestly, speak differently, and lead clean and virtuous lives.   As the world becomes more and more corrupt it becomes more urgent for us to instill that knowledge of divinity in ourselves and in our children.  We all need extra strength to withstand thoughts and ideas that would pull us down to a much lower level than what 'we know God expects of us..'  In Jessi's bedroom covering one entire wall, we put vinyl  letters that say "I am a daughter of my Heavenly Father who loves me and I love Him."  My hopes were when we placed that there that if she read everyday who she was and that God did love her that it would help guide her decisions in all aspects of her life.   I know many times I need to stop and remember who I am and it gives me strength to stand firm in what I believe and not be embarrassed by decisions I know He expects me to make.  Today I am so grateful that I do know that I am a daughter of my Heavenly Father who loves me and I love Him.  May I always have the strength to do what He expects me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment