THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

THOUGHTS ON MARRIAGE, MOTHERHOOD AND GRAND-PARENTING

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Mary

Today my step mom, Mary, celebrated her 87th birthday.  She is in spending the winter in Arizona so we did not see her but my thoughts have been of her and how thankful I am that she has been a part of my life.  Our family was incredibly fortunate when my dad remarried because he married the second most wonderful woman in the world.  (My mom was obviously the first)  She is an incredible example to me of how I want to pattern my life.  Mary's first husband had died nine years before she met my father.  Dad and Mary were only married six years before my dad passed away, but the memories they made in those years were remarkable.  I've heard her say often, "Darwin and I had so much fun!"  During the six years she endeared herself to me and my family.  She loves to play games of all kinds, even now she occasionally plays tennis.  Her home is always welcoming and clean.  One of my favorite things about Mary is that she is so accepting and non judgmental.  I remember when we were blessing Jessi I had bought a new dress and I was feeling guilty because money was very tight.  I mentioned it to Mary and she quickly responded "Every new mother needs a new dress".  Immediately I felt better and was proud to wear it.  She was a great replacement for a grandma for our kids.  She loved them as if they were her own.  Mary loves life, never misses an opportunity to experience new things, and always has a home remedy for whatever ailment you might have.  Unfortunate for us, but fortunate for Mary she remarried nine months after my dad passed away.  She had no desire to be alone again.  Because she has seven children of her own and David, her present husband, has six she is busy with those families and we don't get to see her often.  We still keep in touch and have lunch occasionally.  At times it is difficult when I do see her because my heart aches for a mom.  She filled a void in my life when I needed it the most.  Thank you Mary for being the best second mom in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment